Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Attention please. Over here, no, over here, no, over here...

It's 9.40 PM on a Tuesday night and I am working. Accomponied by a glass of Oyster Bay, blue cheese, and CNN. It sure could be worse.

What is happening in Japan is slightly unreal and hard for me to comprehend. I see the footage on TV and I want to but I can't relate. How could you? A couple of minutes, that is all it took and life as they knew it was gone. Their homes, their possessions, and in many cases, their family...After we, the audience, has shaken our heads, prayed for the victims, we go back to our reality. To work, dropping off our kids at day care, discussing the Bachelor by the water cooler. Oh my, I can not believe he picked Emily....

It scares me how quickly focus can change. Just a couple of days ago, all focus was on Libya. Before that, Egypt, and before that the financial economic crisis. All "disasters" requiring, hogging if you like, world aid, attention, and coverage. How much can you mind take in? How many causes can you care for and discuss?

Will this disaster be different or will Japan only receive full world attention and aid, till next disaster, perhaps tomorrow, occurs? And in mean time, what will happen to the people fighting for reform in Libya?

The U.S. Fund for UNICEF is raising funds to help children in Japan impacted by the recent earthquake and tsunami.

You can help to. To donate visit their website by clicking here or visit (https://secure.unicefusa.org/site/Donation2?df_id=9640&9640.donation=form1)